Monday 25 June 2012

Beach Day Reading

After the success of our campout reading day I decided to try beach day reading!  So I asked the kids to bring a towel, sunglasses, and a hat to school.






Next, I set up a little concession stand.  I put down some plastic bags and a wet a few rags for kids to wipe their hands. Then, I began calling up students, who were reading quietly, to come to the concession and have a popsicle.  There was a half for each, encouraging sharing and reviewing fractions.



My students were all comfy so I decided to make it even more authentic.  I found a free sound mp3 of waves crashing onto the beach.


Unfortunately it was raining outside, so I set out a blue piece of felt for our lake inside the classroom.   I had kids take turns hanging out around the "lake".  Some even took a little dip:)


Last, we cleaned up - easy-peasy lemon squeezy!  So fun and a refreshing twist on silent reading.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.